1.8.2013 to present – Own Business – Movement Matters
- Undertaking classes in the community – general fitness classes, falls prevention and back care specific classes for the general community, CALD groups and for the frail aged
- Conducting exercise and training programs in the community and residential care facilities for fitness leaders and allied health professionals (supporting and linking with health department organizations / university training courses /fitness Australia
5.1.98 to 1. 8.2013 – Physical Activity Coordinator Northern Sydney Health Promotion
- Responsible for developing community exercise programs; increasing, promoting and supporting physical activity options in the Northern Sydney health area; maintaining quality control measures; training of community exercise leaders.
- Support is given to research projects related to physical activity program development including a community strength program (research papers written). New ongoing strength and falls programs developed and implemented involving CALD groups and less active older adults
- Part time research therapist Sydney University for 18 months assisting with the practical component as part of a team investigating home exercise programs for older adults
- Extra hours – Conducting private business and classes in the local community
1.8.96 – 5.1.98 part time – Osteoporosis and Seniors Services Manager (health educator) for the Arthritis Foundation of N. S.W
- Responsible for undertaking training and education programs; organizing seminars and talks and providing advice to community members on issues related to Osteoporosis and Arthritis for the Foundation
4.4.96 onwards for 2 years part time Exercise Program Co-coordinator – Uni. N.S.W. research unit
- Responsible for developing an exercise program and undertaking the research in falls prevention for the frailer aged living in retirement villages (research papers written)
1.8.96 -Healthy Ageing Project officer – Hornsby Hospital, N.S.W. whilst conducting classes at Lewisham Sports Clinic and other for other community groups.
- This project was based at the Hornsby Hospital which conducted research at a large retirement village to address some of the psycho/social needs (depression) of the residents by means of introducing exercise /activity programs including a large health promotion campaign to reach and educate as many people as possible. (research papers written)
- Ongoing initiatives have included exercise and walking programs in the community to improve and / or maintain fitness levels of participants
2.2.86-1.9.94 – Exercise and Program Co-coordinator. Lewisham Sports Medicine Clinic. N.S.W
- Responsible for development, co-ordination and implementation of exercise and education programs for the older adults at the clinic and in the community. Graded classes included people with multiple orthopaedic and neurological conditions; programs were developed also within the local N.E.S.B. communities. Water classes were conducted at the local hospital. Other work involved in promoting exercise and health in the community working in close liaison with the Health Promotion Unit
2 research projects were undertaken during this time:
a) developing appropriate exercise programs for rural areas (Dept, Sport and Recreation)
b) exercise prescriptions to improve balance to assist in the reduction of falls. (Working with University of N.S.W)
14.2.77 – 3.9.85 – Senior Assistant.
Royal South Sydney Hospital, Zetland N.S.W.
- Work involved outpatient rehabilitation work in the hospital gymnasium concentrating on orthopaedic and neurological conditions, hydrotherapy work. Amputee course training.
Major responsibility for:
- Senior Assistant Hand Injury Unit
- Senior Assistant Amputee section of hospital.
15.3.75 – 3.12.76 – Senior Assistant.
Higham Grange Rehabilitation Centre, Higham, U.K.
- Responsible for treatment of orthopaedic and neurological conditions including extensive hydrotherapy experience. This is a residential rehabilitation centre treating road accident victims and work related injuries.
10.3.75 -14.3.75 – Senior Assistant.
Luton and Dunstable Hospital, Luton. U.K.
- Sole responsibility for hospital rehabilitation gymnasium. Working on wards on a rotational basis. This is a general hospital close to the M1 motorway treating accident victims and general orthopaedic conditions
1.1.72-5.3.75. Basic and Senior Therapist.
Berry Hill Rehabilitation Centre, Mansfield. U.K.
- Responsible for treatment of Orthopaedic conditions working with individuals and in a group settings. Special interest in hand injuries. This is a residential miners rehabilitation centre, the men sustained injuries at work and received intensive therapy following to get them fit to return to work